Za’Atar Beef Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Beef Stuffed Cabbage Rolls with an Israeli vibe. This slow cooking main dish is good for those days when the weather is challenging and you feel like the sun may never shine again. It will fill your home with the scents of dill, caraway and Za’Atar It serves six and is even better the next day. Also great as a make ahead main course for informal entertaining. And, it also freezes well. A winner all around.
6 large green cabbage leaves
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup cooked white rice, held warm
2 medium eggs
1 15-oz tomato sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp dried dill weed, plus extra for garnish
1 tsp dried ground caraway seed, plus extra for garnish
2 tsp Za’Atar Spice Blend, plus extra for garnish
1 tsp olive oil
1. Trim flat the tough stems from the cabbage leaves. Boil the leaves 3-5 minutes. Drain.
2. Combine the meat, onion, garlic, rice, eggs and spices and 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce. Using your hands, mix well.
3. With the olive oil, lightly oil the bottom of a lidded casserole.
4. Lay a cabbage leaf flat. Place 1/6 of the rice/meat mixture onto the bottom third of the leaf. Fold in the sides of the leaf, then starting from the stem end, roll into a fat package.
5. Place the rolls in the prepared casserole. Top with remaining tomato sauce. Season generously with additional dill weed, caraway seed and Za’Atar.
6. Bake in middle of a pre-heated 275 oven for at least one hour. (Or, if you are in a hurry, cook at 325 for one hour.)
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
Oven Temperature: 275°F
Serving size: 1/6 of a recipe (4.9 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients. 3 of the recipe’s ingredients were not linked. These ingredients are not included in the recipe nutrition data.
Amount Per Serving
Recipe Type: Gluten-Free, Main Dish, Meat
Beautiful! I cant wait to try it! Blessings with gratitude!
Sent from my iPad