Lentil Rice Turkey Sausage Curry
As we enter a period of school closings, self-quarantine, precautionary isolation, and social distancing because of the Corona Virus Pandemic, I am very much aware of how difficult it will be for folks to shop, cook for, and feed their families. Even those who remain well will most likely face new challenges in shopping and in preparing nutritious meals from available shelf-stable ingredients. With that in mind I am shifting the focus of my cooking blog to suggest simple, filling, tasty, and inexpensive recipes. This meal will serve four to six and is high in protein and fiber. The turkey sausage is optional. I had it on hand in the fridge, but even without it, this recipe will provide a wholesome and comforting meal.
4 oz turkey sausage, browned crumbled and drained
1 medium onion, chopped OR 1 tbsp dried onion
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium russet potato, diced
1 cup dried lentils
2 cubes bouillon (chicken, beef or vegetable)
1 tbsp dried tomato flakes
1 cup long-grain rice
3 cups water
1 tbsp curry powder (optional)
1 tsp dried mint (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1. In a lidded casserole on top of the stove, brown, crumble and drain the sausage, if using. Set sausage aside.
2. In the same pan, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil.
3. Stir in the lentils, potato, rice, and tomatoes.
4. Add the water, bouillon, and spices and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the rice and lentils are done, adding more water if needed. (about 45 minutes to an hour).
6. Remove from heat, fluff and serve as a main dish.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe (12.9 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Recipe Type: Gluten-Free, Main Dish, Poultry