Turkey Sausage Stuffed Game Hens
Game Hens are generally too small to stuff efficiently, so these are spatch-cocked and laid on top of the stuffing to bake. One hen serves two and makes a comforting and elegant main dish. Perfect for a cold, wet winter evening.
2 20 oz. Game Hens, Spatch-cocked
2 cups stale bread cubed
4 oz turkey breakfast sausage cooked and crumbled
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1. Season the Game Hens. Saute the sausage and crumble. Set aside.
2. In the oil, saute the onion, garlic, celery, and walnuts. Return the sausage to the same skillet
3. Add the chicken broth, bread cubes and poultry seasoning. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
4. Place the cooled stuffing in an oven proof casserole. Lay the halves over the stuffing and season as desired
5. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Check for doneness (juices should run clear).
6. Remove from oven, cover with foil and keep warm until serving. Goes well with minted peas.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350°F
Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe (11.4 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients. One of the recipe’s ingredients was not linked. This ingredient is not included in the recipe nutrition data.
Recipe Type: Main Dish