Chicken Mole for the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe
A spicy, smooth and rich sauce bathes the shredded chicken as it simmers and fills the house with the aromas of chocolate, cumin, cinnamon and chili powder.
This dish is in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe on her feast day of December 12th. Patron of the Americas, she is said to have appeared to Juan Diego in 1531 near Mexico City.
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 cup chicken broth, reserved from cooking the chicken
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup onion, finely diced
2 tsp garlic, finely minced
2 cups cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp raisins
2 tbsp shelled pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp each, ground cumin, oregano, chili powder and cinnamon
1/2 tsp each, ground cloves and pico fruta spice mix (Penzey’s spices)
1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
1 tbsp chipotle in adobe sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1. Cook the chicken thighs in chicken broth. Reserve one cup of the broth. Cool and shred the chicken.
2. In a dry skillet, separately char the tomatoes and pumpkin seeds. Set aside.
3. Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil.
4. In a small food processor, grind the onions, garlic, pumpkin seeds, raisins and tomatoes to make a paste.
5. Transfer to a medium saucepan and add all the remaining ingredients along with 1 cup of the reserved chicken broth.
6. Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Add the shredded chicken and cook over low heat for 2-3 hours.
8. Adjust seasoning and with corn tortillas or over rice.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
Recipe Type: Main Dish, Poultry