Lamb Meatballs in Lemon Sauce
We’ve had a 40 degree temperature drop in the past 24 hours, and it’s time for something warming and comforting, but not heavy or starchy. These meatballs are gluten-free and low-carb, and have a rich and creamy sauce; but for those whose meal is not complete without a grain of some sort, try them with rice.
For the Meatballs
1 lb ground lamb (grass fed is best)
1/4 cup ground nuts (I prefer pistachio, but use what you have)
1 small onion finely chopped
1 tsp garlic, finely minced
1 tsp dried mint
1 tsp dried dill
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
salt and red pepper to taste
For the Sauce
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 quart chicken broth
1. Combine the first 10 ingredients and mix thoroughly. Chill for 1-3 hours.
2. When lamb is chilled, form the meat mixture into small to medium meatballs.
3. Meanwhile, heat the chicken broth to a slow boil.
4. Gently place the meatballs into the broth and cook till 10-12 minutes. Drain and keep warm.
5. Beat the three additional eggs in a medium bowl and add the lemon juice.
6. Temper the mixture with about a cup of the chicken broth.
7. Stir the lemon egg mixture back into the remainder of the chicken broth and heat gently to thicken the sauce.
8. Return the meatballs to the sauce and warm through. Serve at once.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe (15.7 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients. One of the recipe’s ingredients was not linked. This ingredient is not included in the recipe nutrition data.
Amount Per Serving
Recipe Type: Gluten-Free, Low-Carb, Main Dish