Black Bean Burgers (serves 4)
One of the great joys of vegan life, we have come to find out, is. . . Burgers! Of course no animals are harmed, and the main ingredient is black beans. Finding the correct combination of moisture and substance for these burgers has been our greatest cooking challenge since becoming vegan. What we didn’t know at first is that these are baked, rather than pan fried or grilled. (Once the extras are frozen, they can, of course e warmed with anything from the microwave to the outdoor grill.) Bake these on a lightly greased baking sheet. Be sure to let them cook long enough to become crispy on the outside and hot all the way through. ~ Glyn and Will
- Drain the beans and place in the bowl of a food processor.
- Add the yeast, oats, and seasonings.
- Saute the onion, peppers, garlic and carrot in the oil until translucent.
- Add to the food processor and process until a coarse paste in achieved.
- Form into four patties.
- Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.
- Serve with your preferred garnish and side dishes. We used tomatoes and garlic mashed cauliflower.
Oven Temperature: 400°F
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes