Pinto Beans, Corn Tortillas and Pico de Gallo (serves 4)
The times given are for soaking and cooking dried beans and for making your own tortillas. If you are using canned or previously cooked beans and commercially prepared tortillas the time will be reduced to under half an hour!
I have heard it said that if you do not learn to make hand-formed tortillas as a child, you are very unlikely to ever learn. This recipe is made with a rolling pin….next time I will try to form them by hand. ~ Glyn and Will
Pinto Beans, Corn Tortillas and Pico de Gallo
8 oz dried pinto beans
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 cup masa flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 – 1 1/4 cup hot water
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 tsp. chopped garlic
1 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1 lime, juiced
salt and red pepper to taste
assorted pepper relishes as a condiment
1. If using dried beans, check for debris and small rocks, cover with 2″ of water and soak overnight (8 hours).
2. Cook the beans in the water and vegetable broth for about two hours or until tender.
3. Combine the onion, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, cumin and salt and pepper to make the pico de gallo. Let rest while you prepare the tortillas.
4. If making your own tortillas, combine the masa with the salt and 3/4 c hot water. Add the water slowly, stirring to form a soft but elastic dough. Cover with a cloth and let rest for an hour.
5. While the dough rests, preheat a griddle or non-stick skillet to 375.
6. Form the tortillas, either by hand, by tortilla press, or by rolling into 6″ rounds using waxed paper and a rolling pin.
7. Cook the tortillas until golden on the bottom. Turn and cook an additional 30 seconds.
8. Place in a warm (275) oven wrapped in slightly damp paper towels.
9. Serve the beans with the tortillas, pico de gallo and optional pepper relish.
Yield: 6 tortillas, 8 cups beans, 2 cups pico de gallo
Oven Temperature: 275°F
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours and 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 10 hours
Total Time: 12 hours and 25 minutes