Chilled Curried Orange Beet
Bright and brisk citrus flavors balance the earthiness of the beets. Try this as a first course of an Al Fresco dinner. If you have the time and ingredients, make this with fresh beets, roasting them for even deeper flavor.
15 oz canned sliced beets
1 tsp grated orange zest
1 cup orange juice
1 inch piece fresh ginger thickly sliced
1 chicken bouillon cube, dissolved in one cup water
2 tbsp sour cream or Greek Yogurt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sweet curry
1/2 tsp dried mint
1. Drain the beets. In a small saucepan, combine with the mandarin orange juice, ginger, orange rind, and bouillon.
2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
3. Drain, reserving the liquid. Remove the ginger.
4. With an immersion blender, puree the beets. Adding some of the reserved liquid as needed.
5. Stir in the sour cream, curry powder and the mint.
6. Chill 2 hours before serving. Served garnished with chopped mint.
Yield: Four First Course Soup Servings, or Two Main Course Servings
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours and 35 minutes
Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe (6.5 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Amount Per Serving
Recipe Type: Soups