Spiced Lamb Meatballs with Mirepoix and Lentils
Despite my best efforts I caught a cold over the holidays and am now barking like a seal. On the mend, my body now wants something spicy, earthy and warm.
This recipe calls for several unusual ingredients: ras el hanout spice mix, maqluba, and aleppo pepper. Don’t worry if you don’t have them. While they are all very reasonably priced and available at middle eastern markets or online, you may also substitute a mixture of curry powder, cumin, allspice, cardamom, cayenne and cinnamon (among others). there is no set recipe for these spice blends. The point is to find one that you enjoy, so don’t be afraid to experiment.
1 lb ground lamb
1 tsp dried mint
2 tsp ras el hanout, maqluba sice blend or curry powder
1/4 tsp dried aleppo pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup finely diced carrot
1/2 cup finely diced potatoes
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/2 cup finely diced onion
2 tbsp extra virgin olive-oil
2 tbsp golden raisins
1/2 cup dried lentils
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup long grain white rice (steamed)
1. Partially cook the lentils in the chicken broth. (I do 10 minutes in an instant pot). Do not drain.
2. Combine the lamb with the spices. Form into medium sized meatballs and set aside.
3. In the olive oil, in a sturdy stove-top-to-oven lidded casserole, sauté the onion, potato, celery, carrot and raisins.
4. Nestle the meatballs in among the mirepoix veggies and brown lightly, turning once.
5. Top with the lentils and any remaining chicken broth.
6. Cover tightly and cook in a slow (350 degree oven) for up to 90 minutes.
7. Stir, adjust seasoning and serve over steamed rice.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
Oven Temperature: 300°F
Serving size: 1/6 of a recipe (8.4 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients. One of the recipe’s ingredients was not linked. This ingredient is not included in the recipe nutrition data.
Recipe Type: Gluten-Free, Main Dish