Minted Lamb Meatballs with Creamed Spinach and Pomegranates
A dish for the Magi on their journey from the East to greet the Christ Child. This dish is not difficult, and if you have prepared a rich turkey stock from your Thanksgiving of Christmas bird, it is that much easier. If you don’t have the stock on hand, use a good chicken stock fortified with additional herbs.
You can make the meatballs as spicy or as savory as you like by adding additional spices (cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, etc.) It’s all good! Glyn
1 quart rich turkey or chicken stock
1 lb ground lamb
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 large egg
1 tsp dried mint
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup coconut milk (organic, unsweetened if possible)
10 oz frozen spinach (cooked and squeezed dry)
2 cubes chicken bouillon cube
1/3 cup sour cream
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
1. Bring the stock to a boil in a deep saucepan. Reduce t a simmer and keep at a slow bubble
2. Combine the lamb, onion, walnuts, egg and seasoning and form into 12 or more meatballs.
3. Slide the meatballs into the simmering liquid and adjust the heat to keep the stock at a slow bubble.
4. Simmer 5 minutes then turn the meatballs. Cook another five minutes then reduce the heat to a bare simmer.
5. Meanwhile, cook the spinach in the bouillon cubes with enough water to cover. Drain completely, shaking the colander or seive to remove as much water as possible.
6. Combine the spinach with the sour cream and the nutmeg.
7. Spread the spinach mixture onto the serving plates.
8. Top with the meatballs and enough sauce to moisten.
9. Garnish with fresh pomegranates seeds.
Yield: 12 Meatballs
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe (11.1 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients. 2 of the recipe’s ingredients were not linked. These ingredients are not included in the recipe nutrition data.
Recipe Type: Main Dish