If you like cooking with kids, this is a recipe that children six to eight years old can handle with ease (and adult supervision, especially with the instant pot). The grandsons were here for the afternoon, so Elijah, Eddie and Dhedah (me) made this dish for a supper for Mom after she’d had an especially long and busy day. It’s called Chattanooga Chew-Chew as a pun on the name of the local train. Besides, it has lots of crunchy and chewy ingredients.
1 lb ground beef
1 pkg taco seasoning mix
1 cup onion chopped
1 can tomatoes with green chilis
1 can canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup rice, (not instant)
1 cup water
8 oz cheddar cheese grated
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup sour cream
1 avocado, cut into 1/2-inch dice
13 oz tortilla chips
salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder to taste
1. Brown the ground beef and onions. Add the taco mix and 1/2 cup water. Simmer. Keep warm.
2. Cook the rice and beans, tomatoes and 1 cup of water in the instant pot on the rice setting. Use manual release.
3. Combine the cooked rice, tomato and bean mixture with the meat.
4. Taste. If more seasoning is needed, add salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder. Mix well.
5. Serve over tortilla chips and garnish with salsa, sour cream and cheese.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serving size: 1/8 of a recipe (11.3 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients. 2 of the recipe’s ingredients were not linked. These ingredients are not included in the recipe nutrition data.
Recipe Type: Main Dish