Holiday Sweet Bread: Challah
Challah: Holiday Fruit Bread
This is a wonderfully fragrant, moist and yeasty bread. Lovely to look and even better to eat! Give yourself plenty of time to enjoy the process from mixing to kneading to baking and serving. Glyn
1/4 cup dried apricots diced
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup Granny Smith apple diced
1/2 cup boiling water
2 1/2 tsp dry yeast
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter (melted)
2 Duck Eggs (or 3 XL chicken eggs)
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 cups all purpose-flour
1 egg (for brushing)
1 tbs. sugar
- Soak the cranberries and apricots in the boiling water for 20 minutes. Drain, reserving both fruit and water.
- Let the water cool to warm. Measure. If needed add additional warm water to make 1/2 Cup.
- Pour the yeast onto the warm water and stir.
- Combine the duck eggs, sugar, salt, butter, cinnamon and cardamom. Mix well.
- Stir in the yeast and water.
- Add the reserved fruit and 1 cup of flour
- Gradually add the remaining flour to create a slightly sticky but manageable dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead 10 minutes, adding additional flour if needed smooth elastic dough.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turn to oil both sides. Cover with dish towel and place in an oven with light on.
- Let rise till doubled (about 1 and 1/2 hours)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Shape the dough as you wish. Braided, spiral, round loaf, or small individual loaves. Place on baking sheet.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with 1 tbs. sugar.
- Let rise again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat Oven to 350.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Cool on a rack. Serve warm, toasted or at room temperature.
Servings: 12 Yield: One Loaf
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 3 hours
Oven Temperature: 350°F
Serving size: 1/12 of a recipe (3.6 ounces).
Calories From Fat (20%) 57.74
Total Fat 6.54g 10%
Saturated Fat 3.07g 15%
Cholesterol 128.8mg 43%
Sodium 219.7mg 9%
Potassium 130.71mg 4%
Total Carbohydrates 51.7g 17%
Fiber 2.58g 10%
Protein 6.83g 14%
Good to hear from you. I moved in September to Saratoga Springs to be near my daughter. Since I turned 80 in September I thought it was prudent to be living near one of my children. Love it here!
Sent from my iPad
So glad you’re well and happy! Does this mean that Grammy camp is now in Florida? I love being near my grandsons here and am loving retirement. I’ve even begun to play the cello…or at least have begun to take lessons! Let’s keep in touch. Glyn