Chicken Pot Pie to Cure What Ails You
Making this comfort food classic for myself. My holiday cold has now lingered into February, and each time I think it’s finally gone, seems to show up yet again with a new assault on my immune system and my sanity. Time for drastic measures!
The point of this dish is symptom relief, not a beauty contest, there’s no need to fuss about making the top crust look like a fruit pie. I have some homemade puff paste in the freezer, so I’m just rolling it an approximate size and laying it on top of the filling. It will draw in during baking, but that’s OK. It’s also fine to use biscuits as a topping, or a grocery store pie crust. Even toast or mashed potatoes. What we’re after is the healing property of chicken!
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, cut into small dice
1 tbsp garlic, thinly sliced
2 stalks celery, chopped
6 medium mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 lb cubed boneless chicken thighs
1 large carrot, diced
2 large potatoes, diced
1 cup chopped green beans
1 cup frozen green peas
2 small tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp powdered chicken bouillon mix
2-3 cups water
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
2 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
4 oz Homemade Puff Paste or Phyllo pastry sheets
1. In the olive oil, saute the garlic, onion, celery and mushrooms. Add the chicken and cook till opaque.
2. Add the remaining ingredients (EXCEPT the cornstarch and puff paste). Boil gently for 15-20 minutes.
3. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring until thickened (2-3 minutes). Pour into oiled baking dish.
4. Roll our the puff paste, trim, and use to cover the chicken filling.
5. Place dish on a baking sheet to catch spills. Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes until the crust is golden.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 25 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350°F
Serving size: 1/6 of a recipe (18.9 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Recipe Type: Main Dish, Poultry